Facebook is binary no more.
The social media company announced via its Facebook Diversity page that profiles will now allow for a custom gender choice, a change long sought by transgender rights activists.
Traditional social networking (and even dating) websites mostly allow only the choice of male and female. But now Facebook has functionality to add multiple gender identifiers under a customizable text menu. The change was brought about through a collaboration with a number of LGBT advocacy groups, including GLAAD.
"This new feature is a step forward in recognizing transgender people and allows them to tell their authentic story in their own words," said GLAAD President Sarah Kate Ellis, in an announcement on their website.
The new function has up to ten variable gender options: transgender, cisgender, androgynous, genderqueen, neutral, and others. The list will be added to in the future, GLAAD said.
Most Commented On
- Sorry they hurt your feelings - April 23, 2014
- Mmm.. good to be here in your - April 23, 2014
- I still see balance there - April 23, 2014
- Maybe but many of the Sunday meters supporters came across - April 23, 2014
- The problem is - April 23, 2014
- Loving clean air and the - April 23, 2014
- Interpreter, not translator. - April 23, 2014
- Yes, Greg is a troll, and usually wrong as here - April 23, 2014
- Nieto has multiple RO's against him and was clearly - April 23, 2014
- Deserted is ridiculous - April 23, 2014