Call it what you will — the fresh, soulful sound of The Seshen demands to be heard
Just past a tiny enclave marked by a photo of Ehara's grandfather is the producer's recording and mixing setup — the band does it all, quite literally and very meticulously, in-house. The value of Ehara's determined focus on the subtleties of a mix cannot be overstated, say his bandmates. In honing the band's sound, says Ehara, he's influenced by delving into the history of electronic music, he says, going back to John Cage and early BBC radio electronica. "That, alone, opened a whole other door for me."
"I've played in a lot of bands, and I've never been in one that pays this much attention to detail," says drummer Chris Thalmann. "Everyone has a really high level of expectation for what we put out there." That perfectionism is starting to get attention: In January, they inked a deal with Tru Thoughts, an independent label out of Brighton, UK. After the EP comes out, the big plan for 2014 is to tour more — pack themselves into a 15-passenger van and find out if they get along as well on the road, stinky socks and all, as they do at home.
"We do have to corral ourselves back into working sometimes," says Orr. "It is pretty amazing that with this many people we all really get along, but we do. We have fun, and we love each other. That part's organic."
"I think that's part of what sets us apart from some electronic acts," says Kopelman. "We're seven people making something together. Not, you know, a mustachioed hipster on a laptop."
Most Commented On
- ZorXKHfMVRAbXjsliWHl - April 17, 2014
- The 1% who show appropriately-inclined political awareness - April 17, 2014
- SUWuATYEkamHLZXbf - April 17, 2014
- Kind of funny how they have - April 17, 2014
- I don't fault her for not - April 17, 2014
- Fair enough. Partial kudos to - April 17, 2014
- No, what she should do is risk her life to save others - April 17, 2014
- No she did what she was supposed to - April 17, 2014
- the spell caster that help bring my ex back - April 17, 2014
- i need a cured in hiv - April 17, 2014