Call it what you will — the fresh, soulful sound of The Seshen demands to be heard
Just past a tiny enclave marked by a photo of Ehara's grandfather is the producer's recording and mixing setup — the band does it all, quite literally and very meticulously, in-house. The value of Ehara's determined focus on the subtleties of a mix cannot be overstated, say his bandmates. In honing the band's sound, says Ehara, he's influenced by delving into the history of electronic music, he says, going back to John Cage and early BBC radio electronica. "That, alone, opened a whole other door for me."
"I've played in a lot of bands, and I've never been in one that pays this much attention to detail," says drummer Chris Thalmann. "Everyone has a really high level of expectation for what we put out there." That perfectionism is starting to get attention: In January, they inked a deal with Tru Thoughts, an independent label out of Brighton, UK. After the EP comes out, the big plan for 2014 is to tour more — pack themselves into a 15-passenger van and find out if they get along as well on the road, stinky socks and all, as they do at home.
"We do have to corral ourselves back into working sometimes," says Orr. "It is pretty amazing that with this many people we all really get along, but we do. We have fun, and we love each other. That part's organic."
"I think that's part of what sets us apart from some electronic acts," says Kopelman. "We're seven people making something together. Not, you know, a mustachioed hipster on a laptop."
Most Commented On
- GlMrULdoSMG - July 28, 2014
- No Wall on the Waterfront wins big, Chiu prevails in Assembly - July 28, 2014
- JAKaDNkQqxrfP - July 28, 2014
- what does Mexico do with illegals? - July 28, 2014
- Reading and language going down the gutter - July 28, 2014
- Yes, i have mostly being doing this for a few years now. - July 28, 2014
- Public radio is hopelessly liberal - July 28, 2014
- No way that CA law allows you to invade my home on the grounds - July 28, 2014
- One Lorde to rule them all: An evening at the Fox with one - July 28, 2014
- http://www.nwitimes.com/news/ - July 28, 2014